Thursday, July 18, 2013

[Review] Kiss of Fire - Rebecca Ethington

Kiss of Fire - Rebecca Ethington
Kiss of Fire (Imdalind #1)
              

I really liked this book. I wanted to give Kiss of Fire a 4star but I just can’t. I just wasn’t a “I love this” book.  Don’t get me wrong, the premise and storyline were amazing. The characters were super adorkable and the imagery was well written. Honestly I probably should give this a 4 star, and it’s not Rebecca’s fault or the books fault. I’ve been so busy.. or distracted.. or stressed out lately that I just kept picking it up just to put it back down. That in itself is obnoxious and irritating.  Rebecca really did a great job with this novel, and I’m definitely ready to get into the rest of the trilogy.  Hopefully I’ll actually be able to devote the time to Eyes of Ember that it deserves. 

The magic underlining in this story was awesome. Half the time I kept saying, Oh shit! I didn’t see that coming. I was fully entranced by Joclyn and Ryland. By the way – I effing LOVE the name Ryland. The characters had a great chemistry together, and the witty banter was excellent.  We all know that I’m a sucker for witty banter. I also really liked the support characters. The only thing I didn’t particularly care for was the Czech. Even though there wasn’t much of it… It was hard for me to think of how to say it. That’s not a huge thing for me anyways, though.  I do commend Rebecca for the originality in the aspect of the Czech though. 

Joclyn’s character has a chip on her shoulder, ever since her dad left her when she was 5.  After getting bit by something, and taken to the hospital – which resulted in a long stay…  She ended up with a scar on her neck. Joclyn always thought that it was because of the scar on her neck that her father had left her mother and her. Enter fabulous Ryland, the son of the infamous mogul Edmond of whom Joclyn’s mother is the main chef for, and has been since Joclyns dad left them. Ryland is rich, beautiful, funny, sweet, and caring. THE perfect guy.  Even though his father practically forbids him to see Joclyn, he does anyway and wouldn’t stop for anyone. Unbeknownst to Joclyn, the connection between her and Ryland is not as normal as she thought it to be. She knew nothing of a magical world, but everything changes.

At times I was frustrated with the characters, but that’s usual for me. Until about half way through the novel, did I stop getting frustrated and started getting panic-y! This book definitely has those moments when you’re like, alright I’m gonna stop reading now and go back to the real world… and then OH SHIT! What’s going on!? What’s going to happen!? The real world can wait… Ten chapters later, you’re late for something or dinner hasn’t been cooked. Yep. Twice that happened. Luckily I have 2 nagging boys (husband and son) who remind me on a constant basis that they’re hungry! Oy! 

I must say that even though the story was a little slow for me at first, the plot definitely thickened and I did get lost in the story. I was immersed in the magical world and didn’t want to come back to reality. I can’t wait to read Eyes of Ember, to see what happens next. The book didn’t quite leave off on a cliff hanger, buuuuut you are left with that feeling of Is it going to change? Will it stay the same? Oh god! I must know. All in all, Kiss of Fire had tons of action, a little angst, a great friendship and romance, and an amazing storyline that keeps you entertained and wanting more. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and I hope that you do too! I would definitely recommend this if you like anything magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...