Saturday, October 12, 2013

[Review] The Descending Darkness

The Descending Darkness
     



The Descending Darkness is the debut novel by Michael Chulsky. When I started reading this I wasn’t sure what to expect. I haven’t read an actual Young Adult novel  in quite some time, so it took a little bit of getting used to again. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and for being a debut novel it was well written and transitioned well from character to character. The imagery was wonderful and there were some twists and turns that I honestly didn’t see coming. 

While I was completely in lovesome of the main characters, I would have to say that my favorites were Shadow and Ellie. The supporting characters were well developed and you still got to see an intimate side of them as well as the two leading characters. I thought that Ellie was completely relatable and she just made you want to like her, or at least made me like her – with her sassy attitude. Shadow was a bit of a conundrum that needed to be solved, I felt he was a little too conflicted with his life and I do wish that I could have learned a little more about him.  I did get a little annoyed with a few of the characters, but I’m pretty sure that was how they were written in. 

The storyline was a great adventure, that would be suitable for someone Middle Grade or higher.  There was a few references to movies, that I thought was rather hilarious and made me snicker as I read it. However, someone who doesn’t understand the reference may not get the underlining  intentions, but I don’t see it effecting the reader.  I enjoyed the good vs. evil as well.  As the author points out, not everything is right or wrong, nor is it always simply black and white. 

Michael Chulsky has brought forth a beautiful debut novel that not only a young audience would love but also an adult audience can still appreciate. I think that this young author has so much room to grow, and with each new work he will just continue to get better.  I can’t wait to see what he puts out next, as I will be likely to read it, because I like his style of writing. The Descending Darkness brings an original hero story with a new twist, with epic battles and inner turmoil, mixed with tragic pasts and hopeful beginnings. A definite great read that doesn’t disappoint.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...