Friday, January 10, 2014

[Review] Naked - Raine Miller

Naked (The Blackstone Affair, #1)


I’ve been wanting to read this book ever since I met the ever so lovely Raine Miller in Boston, at the Boston Author Event. I kept putting off reading this, an honestly it was for no good reason. I mean you know how it goes – something always comes out and catches your eye and you just HAVE to read it RIGHT then. Well, this was one of my unfortunate pushed to the back burner books. Lately I’ve been in a rather bad reading drought. Slump isn’t even a viable word for how bad this was, I mean I only read ONE book from October to January! Naked was the perfect fix for me. I was in desperate need of some much needed “smut” in my reading  life. 

I went to Barnes and Noble and saw this on the self, and thought to myself… I need to read this. I figured that it was a great introduction back into reading. Naked isn’t a long read, so I figured it was relatively safe.  Well, this book may be shorter, but damn does it pack a punch! I absolutely devoured this book in one sitting.  I have to hand it to Raine, because from the first couple pages…. I was absolutely hooked. I fell head over heels for the overbearing Ethan Blackstone, and absolutely loved the sass of Brynne Bennett.

"My whole world altered because of a photograph. A photograph of my beautiful American girl.”

Brynne Bennett is sassy, smart, an adorable. While she has as toxic past, she’s trying to live her life in the beautiful city of London. I loved her character something fierce. I felt Brynne was extremely relatable and down to earth.  I understand where she comes from with her uneasiness and shattered heart, not wanting to give any type of affection towards men. But of course, sexy ass Ethan Blackstone comes charming his way into her life. Ethan is just…. The perfect narcissist.  Ethan is tortured, possessive, sensual, overbearing, caring, and just plain old amazing. The connection between the two main characters is completely euphoric. I was immensely pleased with the STEAMY encounters between the two of them, along with the witty banter and sarcastic feisty quarrels. 

“He didn’t ask. Ethan took.” 

I have to say, I’m a huge Raine Miller fan now. Not only did she do an astounding job with the relationship between Brynne and Ethan, but the writing was brilliant. Being an American author she definitely did her research about the London culture. I was enthralled by the proper usage of the language and slang used in this novel. I truly felt as if I were in London while reading this. After meeting Raine, I can now say that she is not only a talented writer, but she’s so amazingly sweet. It made me smile to see her novels in B&N. Indie authors have come such a long way and it makes me proud to be a reader, every day. BIG Kudos to Raine for this astonishing read. 

“I don’t want you to go yet. I like having you here with me. You soothe me, baby.” He rested his head on top of mine. “You are my ray of light in a fog of ignorance and frustration.”

Even though Naked was short, it really was a terrific read. I can’t tell Raine enough thank you’s for bringing the blogger in me back to life.  Not even just the blogger, but bringing the happiness of reading back into my life. I definitely would recommend this to anyone who wants a quick, witty, steamy read. Just beware – you will want to read Book 2 (All In) IMMEDIATELY! So, if you’re going to grab Naked, you  might as well grab All In, at the same time. I’m excited to read All In, and since Eyes Wide Open came out – I can dive right into that as well!! SCORE!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...