Saturday, April 19, 2014

[Review] Flight of Life]

 Flight of Life (Essence Series #1)
So let me start off saying, I think if I were in a different frame of mind, I would have enjoyed this book much more. I wanted to read a YA book, but then when I started I guess my heart just wasn’t in it as much as I thought I would be. To be fair to the author, I wanted to state that before my review. I DID in fact like this book a lot. The characters were well built, the imagery was spectacular and E.L. flawlessly transitioned from page to page. 

Calloway, which by the way I love the name – is a super relatable character who is friendly, brave, maybe a bit awkward and has the best interest at heart. He may be a little tough around the edges, but when you have to fight evil, how can you not be? I thought the tension between Calloway and Breccan (his cousin) was absolutely true to form about families. I got kinda confused between Easton and Weston until a little further in the book when they both started to differentiate from one another. 

Although this is a paranormal YA novel, there is definitely an underlining tone of finding the good in people, keeping your hope, and doing the right thing. It’s an amazing message to be sent out to the Young Adult generation, and I’m grateful that the author found a way to intertwine good morals along with some science fiction to keep you entranced. 

I found this novel fascinating, unique, and thought provoking. I would definitely recommend this to someone who is looking for a something different, especially among YA novels. I love how bold the story is, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Vampires, Werewolves, and the like. To be honest – the genre has become a little taxing. We’ve been so inundated with the same stories with slight differences in the character developments.  To anyone who reads Paranormal, and you’re looking for something different, I would definitely recommend this. As well as to anyone who just wants a good read. If I trusted my step-son with my kindle, I’d let him read this. He’s 10 (going on 30) and seeing as how I’ve already read this I can say it’s “mom-approved”. Maybe not for EVERY 10yr old, but I would definitely say 13+. 

A great novel, that I feel guilty about giving it 3.5 stars. Honestly, I think this could deserve more from me, but again… I apparently wasn’t in the mood for YA, even though I thought I was. E.K. Blair has raw talent that I can’t wait to read again. I think maybe next time I will pick up a more adult novel by the author, though. (Does this mean I’m getting old!?)


   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...