Friday, August 1, 2014

[Review] Wrong Chance


Wrong Chance

The first mystery of the Detective Eubanks series: a gripping look inside the mind of a serial killer who’s obsessed with starting a family.
The victims should have known the psychopath would take it personally…
A strange quirk of fate staggers the hell out of Chancellor Fox with a sucker punch—a knockout blow at that. Who would have ever guessed a car accident would derail so many lives? When an unforgiveable web of lies and deceit surfaces, his wrath is unleashed.

It started with a group of Cleveland State University students. Their sophomoric prank stalls ten years later with a string of dead bodies. For homicide detectives Hakeem Eubanks and Aspen Skye, the hunt is on to bait and snare a clever serial killer. One problem, though: getting caught is part of the psychopath’s ingenious plan.
With the rapid pulse of a Jeffery Deaver novel spiced up with supernatural activity, Wrong Chance will keep your heart racing until the shocking finale.



When I first started this book, I was very intrigued. I mean the synopsis left me completely captivated. While I really enjoyed this read, I was left a little confused and maybe a bit overwhelmed. I felt that the author threw too many characters at me at one time.  Besides my whole confusion with the abundance of characters and so many back stories to remember, this book was flawless.  Even though I had my confusion, the book wrapped up perfectly. All the back stories were tied in together wonderfully and connections were solidified. I had actually pushed some of the back stories to a side burner so that I could focus more on the story, and then I was like OH! "That’s why! Son of A…"

I have to say this is one of the best thriller’s that I’ve ever read. I know it’s been a while, but I definitely felt the need to branch out from my NA/YA tributes to read something else, and I have ZANE publishing (a subsidiary of S&S) for opening me up to the books I loved before I got so wrapped up in my contemporary phase. Although I didn’t exactly “connect” with any of the characters, I was still completely enthralled with all of their lives.  I especially loved the characters of the Detectives, Aspen and Hakeem. 

I was needless to say shocked at some of the revelations that occur in the book, ‘cause while I may have thought I saw it coming… I kind of didn’t at the same time. I do have to say though, the web of craziness that lay in between the pages of this book is out of this world phenomenal. This book definitely left me stunned, on the edge of hilarity, and definitely made me think. The elaboration that went into the stories just blew my mind. Literally, I mean the characters… I just don’t even know how to put it into words.

 I really did like some of the characters, but I totally flipped a switch on Chance, and Cash. I’m sure you will too, once you find out the situation. Some of the back stories that unveil themselves to you will tear your heart out, and some just make you want to scream in anger. I was very emotional throughout this read, but I am definitely glad I read it. I would recommend this to someone who’s looking to get into a psychological thriller with so many twists and turns that you get blind-sided by most of them. All in all, it truly was a great read, and I think I’d deal with my confusion to read another Detective Eubanks novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...