Saturday, November 1, 2014

[Release Day Blitz & Review] Violet Addiction



There was no bright light in my death, but perhaps that is because I wasn’t destined for the angelic beauty of heaven. No, my short lived life had been played out with so much sin and excess that there would no doubt be a special cage in hell with my name on it. In my death, I felt and saw nothing. No warmth, no cold, no light, no darkness, just nothing. When I woke, he was gone, the only piece of perfection in my ugly world. Part of me was grateful that he had finally found the good sense to leave. Another part of me was broken, irrevocably and agonizingly broken.

***Reader Warning - This book is intended for mature audiences. It contains language which some may find offensive, sexual content and drug use. There is also a sexual scene of questionable consent which some readers may find difficult to read.***



“Someone once told me crying was not a sign of weakness, but simply someone who had been strong for far to long.”

Per usual Kirsty rips my heart out, and breaks it to a million pieces only to glue back every broken shard to resemble a different beautifully mended heart. I effing love you for this reason Kirsty. I mean it. In every book you’ve wrote, and I’ve undoubtedly read… you take me for the roller coaster emotional ride of my life.  Violet Addiction was just the next work of art in Kirsty’s story telling mind. You’re a genius, woman. Hand’s down one of my favorite Aussie’s every.  Seriously, I think there may be one person ahead of you… but it is Jesse Spencer and let’s face it – he’s just perfection.  Excuse me while I wipe away a spot of drool!

 “When you meet someone who leaves a mark on your heart and soul, that, my dear Violet, is truly a treasure. You are no doubt treasure by many; it’s time for you to recognize that worth.”

To be honest, I thought I’d have a harder time reading this than I did. I’m not entirely sure about addiction. I mean I’ve been told I have an addictive personality, but I’m happy to say I’ve never had to deal with the enormity of a painful addiction like drugs. I do have empathy for those who have been stricken with the unfortunate problem of addiction, though. After reading this, I can’t even imagine how hard it must be to recuperate and stay sober. I know I always imagined it was excruciatingly painful, but the imagery and honesty that Kirsty poured into this novel just makes me feel that much deeper for people with addiction.

 “I wanted him to lose that control, I wanted to ignite a flame within him that would consume me with passion”

Throughout the entirety of this novel, my heart bled for these characters. My face was constantly salty from tears, and I just can’t tell you how many feels I had from the ultimate painful throbbing of the pure heartache that Kirsty exploited through the characters of Violet and Cain. My heart is aching just thinking about it, and writing this review.

Sometimes, time can feel like a slow moving tide, splashing and ebbing over minutes, days, and weeks, tediously slow and unremitting. In other instances, time can be a tsunami, crashing down on you, thundering by in fragmented moments.”

Violet, grew up with addicts for parents, so she didn’t expect much from life. After watching her mother deal with addiction, she set herself up for total destruction. Even though she is beautiful, witty, extremely talented, and loved by so many… Violet hurt. The only way she knew how to take care of her internal pain was to get drunk and high. The one constant Violet had in life was Cain. God, she loved him like no other, but in her own vision of self-perseverance, she decided on never acting upon their feelings for one another.  Cain was incredibly talented as well. With his shoulder length hair, his beautiful voice, and musical talents, he was just amazing. He was sweet, loved Violet to the end of the world, loyal, and completely supportive. Cain was Violet’s rock, always there to pick up the pieces.

“We made love, and it was as wild and impatient as it was profound and passionate.”

After so many times of picking up the pieces of Violets violent and destructive behavior, one has to give up… right? My goodness I still can’t believe how Cain handled her. This story is so unique and beautiful, but terrifying.  Violet Addiction gives you the right feels when you need them. There are times of laughter, sadness, happiness, panic, and angst.

“You’re my home Cain, I’m not happy unless I’m home, and I trust you more than I’ve ever trusted anybody.”

I can’t even tell you about what happens. You need to read this to find out. A few times during this novel I thought there was no way to have a happy ending. However, this book leaves you completely satisfied, yet devastated at the same time. Didn’t think it was possible?! IT IS! Kirsty Dallas did it!!! I’ve had a serious book hangover from this, and writing the review is equally as hard as reading this novel. My heart HURTS. There’s so many things that I want to reveal, but can’t because you need to read this for yourself. You need to feel everything to understand why I can’t tell you, and you’ll agree with me.

 “I want you with me baby, I want you in Seattle, I want you in my home, I want you in my bed, always. I need you to trust me to take care of you.”

Here's two video's of songs I absolutely adore - on how I imagine Violet is during and after addiction.

During Addiction
Tove Lo - Stay High

After 
Tove Lo - Not On Drugs




BOOK TRAILER


OR CLICK:





‘A Shade of Violet’
This song Kirsty co-wrote with Beau Maynard for Violet Addiction


Connect with Beau Maynard






I grew up on the beaches of North Queensland, Australia before migrating south to the iconic Gold Coast in 1995. I traded the surf and my bikini for pajama's and a computer when I embarked on writing professionally in 2012. I've since developed a wicked computer tan and my mad ninja skills have been finely honed following many hours of reading paranormal and dystopian romance.
I love to hear from fans and other like-minded, creative people, so flick me an email, or come hang out at Facey or the Twitterverse.











1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of Kirsty Dallas's books yet, but this one looks really emotional! I'm glad you loved it! It sounds like I'll need a box of Kleenex to get through it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...