Tuesday, November 11, 2014

[Review]Love, in Spanish by Karina Halle

22470287



The companion to the highly emotional, scandalous and USA Today Bestselling love story - LOVE, IN ENGLISH - is finally here! Love, in Spanish is a Love, in English follow-up novel told from Mateo Casalles' POV. While Love, in Spanish touches on some events that happened in LIE (you know the ones!) it is a whole new story set a year later that continues with Vera and Mateo's "happily ever after." Note: It should be read after Love, in English and it is mostly new material (aka not just rehash of LIE).

***

“She sat beside me on the bus – and she changed my whole life.”

Successful, wealthy and absurdly handsome – Spanish ex-football player Mateo Casalles seemed like he had it all. A high-society wife, an adorable little girl, and flashy apartments in Madrid and Barcelona only sweetened the deal. But there was more to Mateo than met the eye – a life of uncertainty and regret that colored his black and white world.

That was until Vera Miles came into his life like a shooting star. Tattooed, wild and young, Vera seemed like Mateo’s polar opposite at first. But you can’t choose who you fall in love with and the two lost souls did everything they could to be together, all while suffering the grave consequences.

Now with Mateo divorced and living in Madrid with Vera, there is a whole new set of challenges and setbacks facing the couple and rocking the foundation of their star-crossed relationship.

Unfortunately for them, the brighter the star, the faster they burn.

***Love, in Spanish contains the first two chapters of Where Sea Meets Sky, a full-length Love, in English spinoff starring Vera's brother, Josh Miles, coming March 2015 from Atria Books***


MY THOUGHTS:


Love, in Spanish is the sequel to Love, In English and it still centers around the relationship between Mateo and Vera. It's not a retelling of events from Mateo's side[I've been seeing that description around for some reason], but a true sequel. Writing a review for this is hard for me because everything I want to say is kind of spoilery, but I promise to not give anything away.

Much like you would expect from a book about a relationship there is drama, but not an overwhelming amount. You know the kind I mean, the back and forth crap[which I can't stand honestly]. Vera and Mateo's relationship deepens, but with that comes the doubts. Mateo begins having doubts about his connection with Vera. The majority of the book was heavy, maybe a little too heavy. There was a perfect amount of sexy time, but I didn't feel like there was much of the sweet and soft side that I loved in LiE. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the way it wrapped up, but something just felt incomplete.

While I really love Mateo, I found myself missing Vera's voice. I think that having Vera as a part of the story, but not the narrator made it a little less enjoyable for me. I just have such a thing for a strong woman, and Vera is one that I relate to one many levels. Mateo's voice was filled with doubt and worry for so much of the book I kind of felt a disconnect. Every time I read a book by Karina I expect to feel something, and I did feel something, it just wasn't what I felt the first time I met Mateo and Vera. I was left wanting a little more from the story.

Oh, and as an added bonus you get to meet Josh, Vera's brother and the main character in Karina's next book Where Sea Meets Sky. [I feel mega swoons coming on with him]






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...