Friday, March 29, 2013

ARC Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)

Title: Walking Disaster[Beautiful #2]
Published: April 2nd, 2013
Author: Jamie McGuire
Pages: 448
Rating:

 

From Goodreads:
Finally, the highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Can you love someone too much?
Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.

MY THOUGHTS:

“I finally found the girl worth having and she's too good for me.”

If you loved Beautiful Disaster, you probably can't wait to get your hands on Walking Disaster and Travis “Mad Dog” Maddox.

Travis Maddox, what is there to say that hasn't already been said? Probably nothing, but I'm going to try. Travis Maddox is not perfect. At all. Reading Wallking Disaster I realized that being in his head is almost traumatizing. There are so many reasons to avoid Travis. He has anger issues and commitment issues and a drinking problem and who knows what other issues. So why do I love him? Because he's real! I'm not a huge fan of the “perfect man” type characters. I like the flawed men who need a little work. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things about Travis. He's extremely passionate in multiple way[ahem...], he's driven, he's protective, he loves his family, and he's freaking gorgeous[I can't leave that one out, call me shallow]. I wanted to punch Travis, I wanted to kick him, but mostly I wanted to reassure him that he deserves to be loved.

“When you're around, I don't need booze or money or the fighting or the one night stands... all I need is you. You're all I think about. You're all I dream about. You're all I want.”

The thing I love about Travis' relationship with Abby is the true to life feeling it gives me. A lot of relationships are explosive. People become driven by jealous and run from their feelings. It's human nature. The passion between the two is almost palpable.

The relationship between Travis and Shep is hilarious. I loved the banter between the cousins. Shep is amazing. He's willing to listen to Travis when he's upset, and he doesn't hesitate to call him out when he's being ridiculous[which is a lot, let's face it].

One of my favorite Shep/Travis lines:

“The day you appeared on our family tree, I wanted to cut it down.”

It was so weird seeing the story from Travis' side, I kept going back to certain parts in Beautiful Disaster to see what Abby was thinking. I have to say, I liked BD a little better. I just found it easier to connect to Abby's story because I can relate more the the woman's side of the relationship[obviously].

“For the first time, I felt like a normal, whole human being instead of some broken, angry man.”

I loved finding out about gaps in time when we didn't know what was going on with Travis. There were a few things I wasn't too crazy about. I was a little sad that a certain part was left out of the book. I was really hoping that this scene that isn't in BD would be in WD. I was also a little put off by the epilogue. I
liked it, but I didn't love it. I'm not a big fan of those types of epilogues in general.

Overall I really liked this book. It was awesome to get another glimpse into Travis and Abby's life. There's also been talk of a third book, from the POV of Trent, Travis' brother. I can't wait. Jamie's writing is definitely like the best kind of drug.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...