Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Review: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
Title: Clockwork Princess
Published: March 19th, 2013
Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 568
Rating:



From Goodreads:
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

My Thoughts:


Wow. I have written before about loving characters and stories and worlds. I will write about it again, I'm sure. The love I felt for these characters, the same I feel for all Cassandra Clare's characters, will not fade out in the shadow of other books and characters.

Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read.”

I read Clockwork Angel when it was first released. I remembered that I liked it and I remembered the story. When Clockwork Prince came out I didn't buy it right away. I waited. And waited. Finally about two weeks ago I picked up Clockwork Prince. I was about ten pages in and I remembered everything. I remembered how much I loved Tessa, Will, and Jem. And how much I loved Cassandra Clare's world of Shadowhunters. I immediately went onto Amazon to buy Clockwork Princess.

“Do not cast him from your heart. For if you do, you will regret it.”

Clockwork Princess is the definition of bittersweet. I was shocked at how attached I was to these characters. I wasn't expecting to fall so in love with Will and Jem. It's been so long since a non-contemporary novel has made me feel. Oh boy, did I feel. I felt everything. I cried and laughed and shook my head and gasped and screamed “NO!” more than once. Oh, and this is how you do a love triangle. It was perfect, seriously.

Cassandra really created a story that came full circle. There were times I had my doubts that she could satisfy me with the way the love triangle was going, but she did. The epilogue... I can't even deal with it. I was a sobbing mess, just tissues all over my bed[gross, I know]. I was just an emotional wreck. That's all I can really say about that.


“You know that feeling,” she said, “when you are reading a book, and you know that it is going to be a tragedy; you can feel the cold and darkness coming, see the net drawing tight around the characters who live and breathe on the pages. But you are tied to the story as if being dragged behind a carriage and you cannot let go or turn the course aside.” His blue eyes were dark with understanding — of course Will would understand .”
Oh, Tessa. I love her. She handled loving two guys with as much grace as any lady. She thought with both her head and her heart. One thing most people probably found annoying about Tessa is her never ending questions, but I love her inquisitive nature. She is definitely one of my all time favorite female leads.
“Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two.”
Will Herondale is everything I love in a character. He made me laugh, he pissed me off, and he made me love him completely. My heart broke when his broke. I felt every little sting of pain that Tessa felt when thinking of him. His vulnerability got to me. Jem is unbelievable. He's one of the kindest, good hearted, wise characters I've ever read about. He's so smart, but not condescending. I loved him fully too.

“The world is a wheel,” he said. “When we rise or fall, we do it together.” -Jem to Will

I've never read a book with such a great dynamic between two male friends. The parabati bond means that Will and Jem are more like brothers rather than friends. I really don't know how to describe their relationship without making it sound odd. They absolutely trusted one another, and protected each other. It's hard to think of Will without Jem, or vice versa. There were times when I was tearing up while reading a Will/Jem scene. They were just so refreshing.

There were so many amazing secondary characters, as always with Clare. I fell in love with Charlotte, Henry, Sophie, Gideon, Gabriel, & Cecily. Most books written in this format can get confusing, but every secondary storyline enriched the plot without muddling it.


The only thing I have to complain about, and it has nothing to do with Cassandra Clare's writing or the story at all, is the dust jacket. I take off my dust jacket to read my books a lot, so when I took off the dust jacket when I was halfway through the book I realized there was something on the back. I'll tell you what was on the back: SPOILERS! A freaking book spoiling family tree. So, if you buy the Clockwork Princess Special First Edition do not look on the back of the dust jacket. You've been warned.

Have you read this series? What are your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...