Tuesday, May 14, 2013

[Top Ten Tues] #8

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish.
This Weeks Top Ten
[Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects]


Kait's Picks: This is such a hard week for me. I don't think I'll get too personal with my choices, but these are some books that were hard for me to read. Some were hard to read because I related, and some were hard to read because they're just those kinds of books.
Pure  Aimee  Thirteen Reasons Why  
Dreamland   Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)



Pure by Rebecca Ray
-I've owned this book since I was fourteen, the same age as the protagonist. I read it so many times throughout high school that it's practically falling apart. To me it was so much more than a coming of age story. It's very disturbing at times.

Aimee by Mary Beth Miller
-Another book I've owned for years, and have read more than a dozen times. A teen girl commits suicide while her friend is sleeping over, causing the friend to be accused of assisting her. The scary truths revealed throughout the book shocked me.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
-I've only read this book one time. I couldn't deal with a reread. It was just too much for me. 

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
-This is such a powerful book, but domestic violence is never an easy thing to read about. It definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things. 

Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan
-This book ripped me apart. I had such a hard time reading the violent parts, but I loved the story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beth's Picks: This was a tough week for both of us. I'm not the biggest fan of showing people my emotions. [The sad ones, anyway] Sometimes I purposely steer far away from a certain book because I KNOW it's going to kill me. Here are some that pulled a little harder on my heart than I thought they would. Also, I threw in 2 books I'm petrified to read because of the subject. 


Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)  Thirteen Reasons Why  If I Stay
  They Cage the Animals at Night  Winter Longing

Hallowed - I can't tell you why this particularly pulled the strings of my heart very hard because of spoilers, but if you have read it - you know why.

Th1rteen R3easons Why - I've had a lot of suicide in my family... it's not easy to deal with and it hits home for a LOT of people.

If I stay - Well. I mean this one is just obvious. and I'm digging this new cover!

They Cage The Animals at Night - I haven't read this book since middle school. This book tore my heart out back then, I can't even imagine what it would do to me now! I think a re-read is in my near future.

Winter Longing - This story, my god. Beautiful and tragic... and moving. 


*Books I haven't yet read, 
because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do so! 
Even though I own them...*
Before I Die  Slammed (Slammed, #1)
  
Slammed -  I still haven't read this yet. I own it... and I want to read it, but I don't know if I could handle it. I went through a really rough time when my Dad died and I'm afraid of how well I might relate.

Before I die - I got this with good intentions on reading it, thinking I'll be brave. I still have not picked it up off the shelf because I know how heart-wrenched I'm going to be.

9 comments:

  1. Great list- 13 Reasons is popping up on everyone's lists. I should probably read it sometime, haha. New follower. =)

    My TTT:http://gobsandgobsofbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/top-ten-books-dealing-with-tough.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I Stay is a great pick. I really need to read Thirteen Reason Why. It has been on a couple posts today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of either Aimee or Pure, but they both sound awesome. I was going to put Dreamland on my list, but it's actually one of my least favorite Sarah D books, just because it IS such a brutal read. Thanks for visiting my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great picks! I've heard of many of these, except for Pure and Aimee, they look really interesting.

    I've read Before I Die, although I should probably re-read it as I can't remember too much about it except that it was quite heart wrenching.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one out of all of these I've read is Thirteen Reasons Why. I don't remember much though, so wouldn't mind rereading it sometime. There are some others I'm interested in reading (If I Stay, Hallowed), but we'll see if I ever get around to fitting them in my reading schedule! Thanks for stopping by my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am going to have to check out so many of these titles. I'm only familiar with Thirteen Reasons Why, If I Stay, Dreamland and Before I Die. I agree about 13RW, I would LOVE to re-read it but I haven't been able to conjure up enough emotional stamina for that yet. Great lists! :) (This is The Life of Mugs over at Wordpress but I couldn't get that to work earlier.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Before I Die. My sister has and she really loved it. I'm the type of reader that loves the tough books- if I relate, it adds more depth for me, but even if I don't, I can be empathetic and it helps me learn about other people and situations. I've always read what you'd call "issue" books, but I know they aren't for everyone! You both put some titles I haven't really heard of either, which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I Stay is on my TBR list at the moment, but after seeing all the reviews for the rest I'm not sure I want to read them! I know they are all good, but I'm not sure I want to pick up a depressing read! (Although, that was the point of this TTT!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not gonna lie, I think Before I Die is one of the saddest books I've ever read. Very good, but very sad. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...