Tuesday, April 16, 2013

[Review] After Math - Denise Grover Swank


After Math - Denise Grover Swank
After Math (Off the Subject, #1)
       
The thing about people: you never really know where they stand. You have to rely on gestures and social cues, and still, you really don’t know.

“That’s what I love about you. You speak the truth, as painful or as uncomfortable it is for you to say and me to hear. People bullshit me all the time. I need the truth.”

Denise Grover Swank has blown me away with this novel. After Math is the first book I’ve read of hers, too.  What a great Contemporary Romance.  Scarlett and Tucker were amazingly thought out characters that you could not only relate to but fall in love with. I seriously love how REAL these characters were. Anxiety is a HUGE problem.  Actually reading about a character who has real life issues, is awe-inspiring. Dealing with anxiety myself, I felt the pain that Scarlett dealt with. {However my anxiety is no where’s near as bad as hers.  

The story of Scarlett and Tucker is complicated and tugs on the strings of your heart. Coming with a tormented past just to find out that the solution to your problem could be held within another person is just astronomical. With each other they find strength to open up and peace that they both long for. Tucker is the pompous asshole that everyone wants to be around. He’s a Soccer Superstar.  Scarlett is a math major. Crossing social paths is something completely unexpected and unwelcomed. 

Falling in love can be instantaneous or can take eons. They say your soul seeks out its other half… the companion for itself, a soul mate even. This story is about souls connecting on a deeper level than just “love”. What Scarlett and Tucker have is something most people could only dream about.  Learning about each of their pasts was heart breaking. I’m kind of all over the place with this review, and I apologize for that. There is a reason… this is probably one of the best contemporary novels that I’ve read. 

I LOVED that the characters help to fix one another. You know those moments that are so perfect you don't need words? Or those times when no matter what you say… it just doesn’t come out right? I’ve been trying to put into words how I felt about this novel, when all I can say is it made me feel. Emotions definitely run rampant in this novel. Roller Coaster ride for sure. I went from liking Tucker and his douchebaggery to hating him, to loving him, to LOATHING him... and back to being head over heels for him. 

I can not wait for the second novel in this series to come out.  Denise Grover Swank is super talented and what a beautiful writer. I love finding these “new  to me” authors.  On a side note, not only is Denise so so talented, but she’s SO nice. I was blessed with the opportunity to meet her at BAE. I will definitely be adding the rest of her books to my TBR list! 
If you haven’t already read this, seriously… get to it! RIGHT MEOW! This is not a book to miss out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...